Sunday, December 27, 2015

Traveling Home


I recognize that I do not write in this blog on any sort of regular basis, usually just when the "urge" hits me. Today I was cleaning out my emails at school, trying to stay ahead of things while on Christmas break, and came across this image.

Next week I am to travel back home, Nebraska, to see my family. And as fate would have it, we are suppose to be get bad weather the next few days, which could prevent me from going. Now on any given day, it really would not matter. But this time of year there is something about going "home". Even though I have not lived there for 20+ years, whenever I go back, and I drive into town, I feel 16 years old again. There is comfort in that, familiarity.

I am no longer that person who left West Point so many years ago, and few people see or truly know the "me" I have grown to be. This road I see above, winding and surrounded by snow, does run in two directions. It will take me to my childhood home, where I'm still a kid and need to be taken care of. But when my time is up, it will return me North, to my now home, where I have friends and family that see me for who I have become.

Roads are funny that way. They take you to new and exciting chapters in your life, I have traveled many of those. But they also take you back to where you've been. Either way, the road you choose, whether familiar or that less traveled, is your own choice, your adventure. Love it, Live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment