Monday, February 1, 2016

Nostalgia

I was sitting at home Saturday night flipping through the channels and came across The History of the Eagles on CNN of all channels, parts I and II. Now I have always been a fan of the Eagles (seeing them in concert is a bucket list item I didn't get to do) but never realized all that I did not know.

What was most amazing to me was the song writing abilities of Glenn Frey and Don Henley. There are no songwriters today, not like these two were. To put words to music and have meaning and depth and heart, there is something special in that. And any listener who absorbs the music creates their own meaning and relationship with the melody. Anytime they hear that song, it transports them back to a time, a place, a memory. 

January took so many artists from this world, I can only imagine how wonderful the next world has to be. And when there is loss, I tend to have a period of wallow and regret. The realization that there will be no new songs for this world by a group that has had such an impact. I will search the internet and learn more about each of these people, buy music from these artists that I don't already have, shed some tears, and be transported to a different place and memory that each song gives me. Thank you to the songwriters for giving me this.

While I have many favorites, Wasted Time hits pretty close to the top. So many underlying meanings in the verses, so many times in a person's life you can ask yourself if what you've been doing was a waste of time or not. I don't pretend to have any of those answers, and on a good day I believe there are no regrets, only life lessons that have put each of us on the path we were meant to be. Where I am today is not what I thought my life would have been when this song was released in 1976 (and considering I was only 7) and I don't know what the future holds, but it's my life, and it hasn't been Wasted Time.



No comments:

Post a Comment