Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Spring Goodbyes



I look forward to spring with renewed faith and energy every year. That might be the teacher talking, but when spring comes around I know soon it will be summer and I can catch up on chores around the house that have been overlooked because of the pile of assignments or tests I need to attend to, I can do more leisure reading, not just reading my computer manuals or Accounting textbooks, but most importantly, I can catch up on lost sleep!

While there is much to be happy about, spring is always a time of goodbyes. Teaching High School has taught me to appreciate the time I have with my students, my kids, because one day they will graduate and move on with their lives, and our relationship will never be the same. I don't say this in a "feel sorry for me" sort of way, it is a fact. I get to see these students everyday, spend at least one hour with them, and hear about everything going on in their lives from class stuff, to sports, to who is dating whom, to what's happening at home. This is what is never the same, the day to day conversations.

I have a group of students this year that are particularly special to me (do I say that every year? I might, I don't know). These students I have seen grow from the time I had them in Tech7 class. Even as I type this my eyes tear over at the thought of them graduating. I care for them so much, some I even wanted to adopt at one time, I want the best for them and I will always have their back if they need me.

Students are not the only people that leave in the spring, teachers also leave. They get married, move because a spouse gets transferred, or simply move on to another district that has seen how great they are and scooped them up away from us. It's the same with these teachers, I won't see them everyday, hang out after school, socialize with them, at least not like it has been. We'll keep in touch, I know we will, it will just be different.

So while I am looking forward to summer, selfishly, I am also sad to see summer come, selfishly. I wish all my kids, and my friends, the very best, today, tomorrow and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment